Historic Niagara Digital Collections

Bergmans Restaurant and Sandwich Shop south-east corner Victoria Avenue & Bridge Street

Item

Title
Bergmans Restaurant and Sandwich Shop south-east corner Victoria Avenue & Bridge Street
Description
bergman's first traffic light stoplight
circa 1935
en-CA ...a popular spot for a hamburg and coffee circa mid 1930s. Victoria Avenue and Bridge Street intersection was the location of the first stoplight in Niagara Falls, it was operated when a car passed over a rubber pad in the road. Installed in the early 1930's it was a point of interest for young boys, myself, included, who would walk there from blocks away just to see the lights operate - George Seibel ;
en-CA Negative available
Identifier
http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/show.asp?b=1&ref=oo&id=97713
Creator
Hodge, Edwin Hamilton, 1888-1961
Medium
Photograph
Extent
7" x 5" black and white photograph from a glass negative in the Hodge/Bain Collection
Is Part Of
Francis J. Petrie Collection
Hodge/Bain Collection
Date
1935
locator
421215y
Rights Holder
©Niagara Falls Public Library
Subject
Restaurants
number
D421215Y
Format
Photograph
Date Created
2004-10-19
Date Modified
2013-05-09